Wading the Flats

Wading the Flats

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jason's First Fly Rod - Part 1

Jason is a friend of mine who wants to start fly fishing....and what better way to start than with a custom fly rod!!

I am really excited about this rod. I am using a Sevier Blank for the first time. I have heard about how nice they look and what a great value they are. I haven't cast it yet, but they really do look great. It doesn't show up well in the pictures but they have a nice brown / yellowish hue to them that looks great in the sun. Here is a break down of the parts.

Blank: Sevier Tiger Eye 8'6" 5wt 4 piece
Guides: Fuji Clags and Pac Bay Single Foot Wire
Real Seat: American Tackle U5 w/ Rosewood Insert
Grip: Combination of natural, burl and burnt cork
Feathers: ??? don't know yet...but I got some ideas
Thread: Garnet?? Brown??? Green??? I will do some test wraps and let Jason pick

I can't wait to get started and I will post updates during the build.

3 comments:

  1. That is going to be a KILLER looking rod Chris. The real seat is amazing. Post the finished product when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tyler...we are picking color combos now and I have a couple of ideas for the feathers. I hope it will look good.

    btw...I love your sight. You passion for the weather is amazing to me. I think it is really cool. Will you try to go into it professionally?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a custom made fly rod is perfect for a beginner fly fisherman.

    Appreciate the compliment on my blog....you know, I have a few plans on where I go after school. First would be owning and managing a fly shop/lodge in Montana or Alaska, my back up plan would be a meteorologist.

    ReplyDelete