Wading the Flats

Wading the Flats

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Davidson River Trip


I was able to get out on the Davidson River this past Saturday and even though the fishing was slow and the river was VERY crowded, I was able to get this 17" Rainbow. Sorry for the poor picture...I only had a my cell phone. I hooked a larger one put he jumped and threw the hook. I was able to get a few other small trout but nothing near as nice as this one. Hard to fish when there is someone in every hole. Still...better than sitting on the couch!

I am still using a 5 wt Sage rod my wife gave me almost 10 years ago. I can't wait to build a 3 or 4 wt to fish with the Davidson. I definitely need another fly rod!!

6 comments:

  1. Chris,
    I'm heading over to the "D" early Saturday morning...I think I'll be dealing with the crowds also. Saturday will be a cool, but sunny day, so I doubt the crowds will be gone. Did you fish the C&R FF only waters at the hatchery or did you try the DH waters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler.
    Yes....I fished the C&R near the hatchery and I also fished above the hatchery. I wish I would have dropped back and hit the lower stretches where the crowds where not as bad. Plus, I talked with a guy who caught several 17" browns in the lower stretches.

    Small pink egg pattern was working well that day. I hooked the big fish that got away on that. I caught the above trout on a small midge.

    Good Luck and let me know how you do,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egg patterns will produce a few fish this time of year...the browns finished spawning, so it's a good time to tie on a small egg fly. I've got A LOT of midge patterns that I have to test out, and what better place to do so than the hatchery C&R of the Davidson. Man I'm ready to get on the river!! Have a good one....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a nice chunky rainbow! That Davidson is one of those rivers on my to-do list. Just haven't got to North Carolina outside of GSMNP yet...one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. David,

    It is a fun river to fish but it also can get pounded by fisherman. If I could choose, I would only fish it on the week days. The weekends get a little to crowded for me. The river definitely gives you the opportunity to catch big fish...and to fool well educated fish.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did finally get to fish the "D" Saturday. Caught 2 browns, both 16-17 inches. Perfect day for BWO's...rainy, cloudy and chilly. If you want to fish the "D" without the crowds, but don't have the time during the week, try a rainy day on the weekend. There were a good amount of fisherman on the river, but they all left minutes after the rain started coming down. Come 3:45 until 5:00, I was literally the ONLY person on the stream. Just me and the trout...

    ReplyDelete