Wading the Flats

Wading the Flats

Friday, May 1, 2009

Jeff's 7' 1wt Fly Rod - Finished

Here are the details for this rod.

Blank: Dan Craft Sig III 7' 1wt 2 piece
Guides: Fuji Titanium Sics with Recoil Guides
Reel Seat: Black Ash Burl with Brushed Aluminum Hardware
Grip: combination of regular, burnt and burl cork.
Feathers: Blue with Peacock accent
Threads: Dark Grey wraps with a Dark Blue Twist

This is with out question the lightest rod I have ever built. Luckily, I was able to cast this rod on last weekend at Troutfest. Jeff and I met there several years ago where we first started talking about this rod....and what a sweet rod it is. It is so light that it takes a minute to get use to. I walked off the Elk River after casting my 5wt all day and I really had to stop and remind myself that this is not a 5wt. After that, it was a real pleasure to cast.

This is by no means a noodle rod. It has a medium fast to fast action....and we were casting a 2wt line. This rod could easily handle a 3wt line if you really wanted to work in close quarters. Here are a few pictures that Jeff sent me b/c I didn't have time to photograph it. To me, the show piece on this rod is the reel seat. It really brings this rod together. Les Freidborg did an excellent job with it. The black ash burl with the Adams Fly burnt in is just awesome. Thanks Les!!

This rod has just been added to my "must have" list.


4 comments:

  1. nice build! just getting started got m first kit and am planning out 2 or 3 micro (30") fly rods built on ice fishing blanks.

    Have you done any surf rods or know anyone that has?

    looking to build a 10' med/ light action surf rod and need help w/ "fancy" diamond or chevron wraps.

    like the multi- color cork. might need some info on that as well.

    built my own rod wrap jig this weekend, hand drill lathe for turning cork is next.

    nothing like jumping in head first to a new hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starrfish,

    Thanks for the kind words. I haven't done a surf rod but I have down a heavy duty offshore rod. It was a lot of work as I had to turn the blank by hand until the epoxy was set. Make sure you have a few spare hours before you star epoxing.

    It is a wonderful hobby but I must warn......it will suck you in!! :) Take a look at the two website I linked. They have a ton on info. Of course, you are always welcomed to email me. Happy to help.

    palmettocustomrods@gmail.com

    Good Luck,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. how much for a 1wt just like the one pictured?
    looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice collections/information about toys,here i have got more about different type of toys and gifts for the kids like rod building kit, Creative toys,light up toys, personalised kids gifts and many more...

    ReplyDelete